The best part about this curry recipe is that you can add whatever veggies you have on hand!
- Vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons cumin seed (or 1/2 that amount of fresh ground cumin)
- 1-2" section of ginger
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 or more types of fresh vegetables
Maku's favorite vegetable additions:
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped thinly
- 1/2 lauka gourd, sliced thinly and quartered
- 5-6 Thai or Asian eggplants, stems removed & chopped
- 2 bitter melons, thinly sliced
- 1-2 Asian cucumbers or luffa gourds, cut into 2" pieces and then chopped lengthwise
- 1 small blue pumpkin, thinly sliced
- 1 handful shell beans
Preheat oil in pan on stove, then stir in chopped vegetables (except tomato). Add turmeric and salt, stirring in water as needed to prevent sticking. Crush garlic, ginger and cumin seed in a mortar and pestle or food processor. Stir into pan. When vegetables are tender, add chopped tomato and saute a few more minutes. Serve with rice.
Thanks for the inspiration Maku - It was so delicious that I forgot
to take a picture until it was almost too late!